Friday, May 16, 2008

Can't Wrap My Mind Around It!

I "stumbled" across this on a blog tonight. I was on the message board for a curriculum we use and it was recommended on a thread there that we read Heather's post on her blog. Well, I went to the wrong Heather's blog (at least as was intended by the recommendation)!

It is truly and literally mind-numbing to think on the fact that we can do nothing to earn Jesus' love for us or our entrance into heaven. NOTHING! I mean, outwardly and intellectually we KNOW this is true. But knowledge is only a part of the whole picture. Our lives must reflect what we know to be true. Nothing means just that! NOTHING! Huh? I don't know if I am making sense at all simply because I don't fully appreciate the concept myself. All I know is that I think I unintentionally and even though I KNOW better, I try to do things to earn my Lord's love. I can do nothing more than I've already done! There's that word again: NOTHING! I just need to bask in His love and glory! How is that really done? Maybe I won't really "get it" this side of eternity! I don't know... Now I'm just rambling. This is what I read: (you can go here to read it on her blog or other posts by her).

January 24, 2008

Brownie Points

“Whatever past achievements might bring us honor, whatever past disgraces might make us blush, all have been crucified with Christ and exist no more…” - The Ragamuffin Gospel.


There is something very profound to me about this sentence.


Of course I know He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. (Psalm 103:12). And I am amazed and grateful and dumbstruck at times over this knowledge. All of my sins are gone? Forgotten? Forever? Are you sure? Because we are talking a lot of sin here. Not just a few white lies now and then but some stuff I would never admit to anyone except God.


But it’s true. They’re gone and it’s wonderful and liberating and I will spend the rest of my life praising Him for it. It’s the OTHER part of the sentence that I never really thought about. Sure, I knew my sins were gone but I didn’t realize that all my earthly achievements were crucified, too.


You mean all those academic awards won’t count in heaven? Even my spelling bee trophy from 5th grade? Do you mean my grades, college degrees, and professional awards aren’t going to get me a seat closer to God?


Well, what about homeschooling? I have dedicated myself to educating my children and bringing them up in the way of the Lord. Surely, that must get me a few more points, right?


And let’s not forget all those Sundays I worked in the nursery changing those nasty diapers, wiping those runny noses while my husband enjoyed the sermon, and the countless desserts I made for all those baby showers, and all the women’s bible studies I attended. That has got to count for something!


But, of course, my greatest act of service, full-time ministry with these troubled teens, will surely garner the most reward for me in Heaven. No? WHAT? Where is that score board???? I KNOW I’ve got to be near the top by now.


The reality that our “earthly” accomplishments are buried right next to our sins is a sobering thought. Making something of oneself is the American way is it not? Pulling yourself up by your proverbial bootstraps, blazing a trail, making your mark, leaving a legacy…that’s what we are here for, right?


If you walk up to Joe-six-pack-America and tell him that God is not interested in his 401K or his home equity or how many times he attended church this year, he would be surprised. But if you told Susie-Christian-homeschooling-mom that God isn’t all that impressed with her child’s astonishing grasp of Latin at the tender age of five she might be downright shocked.


It goes against everything we’ve been told and taught. Man is the measure of all things. That’s the way of the world. I had no problem letting go of my past sins. As soon as I understood the Good News that Christ’s crucifixion paid my debt I joyously accepted, more than willing to let go of those things of which I am ashamed.


It’s the idea that I have to let go of my pride in the “good” things I have done and accomplished that makes me buck and rear. It’s the idea that the Bible is serious when it says I can never be good enough, smart enough, strong enough, fast enough, or “Christian” enough to earn my salvation that makes me stop and think.


But I can feel a tiny smile starting to spread across my face…does this mean I can stop running through this maze desperately trying to be the first one to find the cheese? I don’t have to be the best or the first or the prettiest or the smartest? And God will still want me? My good and my bad buried together, a new person, a clean slate, a fresh start, a second chance and I don’t have to try and earn it…it’s a gift I don’t deserve but I can have it anyways…that’s the Gospel.


Jesus, I’m trying so hard to stop trying so hard and just let You be who You are in me.
–Casting Crowns


Thanks Heather for your post. VERY thought-provoking!


7 ...The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

So, I guess what we have to ask ourselves is: What does the Lord see when He looks at our hearts?


No comments: