Monday, March 2, 2009

Memory Verse... yes, I'm a slacker!

Okay, so I didn't do a new memory verse on the 15th of February! I'm a slacker... totally! So, you will find my new verse on the sidebar!

I can recite the first part of the verse already and most of the second part too! For me, though I already "know" this verse in part, it's more about it becoming WHO I AM! This is NOT who I am! I initially think of gossip when I come upon this verse of Scripture. Do you too? Initially? I'm fairly good about avoiding gossip, not perfect but pretty good. But, at home I stink at this! Let me be honest here, I can be a real SNOT! Not just rarely or on occasion. I would say, and I think my family would agree, that this characterizes me more and more. Sad to admit, but true! I let the busyness, stress and cares of this world rule me and that in turn affects my mouth! Do I have a potty mouth? No! But my tone could eat someone alive, especially with Keven. Poor guy. I can't tell you how many times he says to me that it's not what I say but how I say it. You've even said this to your kids haven't you parents? I have too! What's even more sad is that I don't even realize the way I say things most of the time until he points it out to me. Worse than that is that pride gets in the way of me apologizing! Aye, aye, aye... I have some work to do people!

What does Scripture say? Out of the heart the mouth speaks?! So, what we (I) have here is a heart issue! WOWZERS! Okay Lord, I get it already! Now, how do I change it?! Any advice is warmly welcomed!

Oh, and a couple of other things jumped out at me in this verse. First is "according to their needs". How I speak to someone has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. If Keven rubs me wrong, and we all know he will, we're human... I can choose to not say anything if that's what will benefit him/us OR if I do say something it needs to beneficial for HIM, not satisfy some sinful need of my own to tear him down or be right or something of that nature! Second is the "that it may benefit those who listen" part. I already KNOW this, but what I say IN MY HOME needs to benefit those who listen... who is listening? MY KIDS! I can already see it in the way Marlie talks to me or her sisters that she is picking up on snottiness! NOT GOOD!

I could really go on and on! But, I won't... this is painful enough! ;) The work I have ahead of me sure feels like a tall order! But, I know that God has begun a good work in me in even making me aware of my sinfulness in this area. And, also according to His Word, He is faithful to complete His work. I just hope I get it soon! I'm sure my family would appreciate it too! Feel free to ask how it's going!

1 comment:

Karen Johnson said...

Chip Ingram was talking about this just a couple of days ago. This is a verse he has memorized and will convict him when he's "guilty." He also made his children memorize this verse. You, my dear sweet niece, are not alone in your struggle!