Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hammerin' it home!

It's funny how the Lord really just slams me with things sometimes. This time, He's really hitting me from all directions... my Bible study, a book I'm reading, other blogs... you name it, He's not leaving me alone!

So, what am I being hammered for you might ask? Quite simply, for not relying on Him! In my Bible study we are talking about how obedience is a way that we show God that we love Him. And, that there are two parts to obedience or holiness. There's dependence on God and our discipline. You could look at these two things as two sides of a scale with dependence on the one side and our discipline on the other. Dependence will never be outweighed by our discipline. In fact, it is the only thing that will counter-balance and make things fall in line. Hope that makes sense. So, without complete dependence we are just as completely unable to do anything of significance for Him. I am extremely guilty of doing things in my own strength. I am somewhat of a control-freak you could say! Ask anyone that knows me, they'll tell ya!

So, I have started re-reading The Power of a Positive Mom (and am hoping to finish it this time!). The last chapter I read was about staying connected to the power source. It was all about how we must be connected with and abiding in Christ before we can even hope to accomplish anything.

Then, there was a post on the LPM blog a few days ago that dealt specifically with this issue! It was primarily with keeping up appearances and essentially putting on a happy face and the lack of transparency but also spoke of parenting issues. With that it talked about how we have to stay on our knees and rely on God before we can hope to get through this thing called parenting!

So, I am trying to remember to pray for help rather than just take control myself. I've seen where that gets me!

No comments: